Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Saturday 29 March 2014

Sponsorship- can you help?

Coming from a family living in extreme poverty is something that most of us can simply not truly understand because we have never experienced it.

Talking to my students I have heard many heart wrenching stories about what their backgrounds and lives outside of school are like. 

One of my brightest students explained to me that his parents simply do not have any money or employment and it is a struggle to find enough food to eat, he and his siblings often go hungry. His family will not be able to get enough money for his school fees.
Another student I often notice for her helpfulness and cheerful nature- she frequently mops the staffroom and helps out with odd jobs, recently I sat with her and she told me about her background- her father has died, her mother is remarried and she never sees her, she moved in with her grandmother but then her grandmother died so now she is with an uncle and his 12 children- needless to say money is a problem and any funds go straight to trying to provide food for the family, as she is not one of their children she often misses out.

Another lad is an orphan who lives with his 79 year old grandma and has been walking 18 km to school until he ended up moving in at the school- however he hasn't paid any fees and is worried about if he will be able to stay.

Unfortunately schools cannot run on no money. Fees are around equivalent to $240 per year or $400 for boarders. Compared to Australian prices this seems like nothing for full board, tuition, uniform and food, however it is still out of reach for many Kenyans. With the school Administrator I have discussed the situations of the most needy students and have identified 13 students for whom paying fees is an impossibility and the only way they can continue at school is if they receive sponsorship. 

For just $40 per month you could provide the necessary funds for these students to stay at school. I personally know all these needy students and some are the the cleverest and most helpful in my classes! Providing funds for their education will potentially help them to gain employment and break out of the vicious cycle of poverty. 

If you are in a position to be able to help any of these students then please send me an email (tabithaverity@gmail.com) and I can link you up- they are super excited at the thought of maybe getting sponsorship and being able to stay at school and I can testify that their need is very real!!!

Some of the 13 students urgently needing sponsorship:






No comments:

Post a Comment