Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Monday 21 April 2014

What is it about teaching in Kenya?

Teaching in Kenya is quite different to Australia. 
Its hard to put my finger on what exactly it is, there are so many factors that are different...
...teaching from a very prescriptive curriculum
...trying to get to know my classes when they have between 34-45 students in them
...teaching students with English as their 3rd and weakest language
...teaching 40 minute timeslots and sometimes the same class multiple times in one day
...teaching subjects I have never taught before (English and Christian Religious Education)
...having exams as the only form of assessment
...the entire four years of high school building to one big exam period at the end in which everything is tested
So many things that are different. Yet I don't think its any of these things that really clinches it. 
The main difference really came to light at the end of the first term. Some misbehaviour by the entire form 3 class called for a staff meeting to discuss the consequences. It had been previously decided that form 1-2 students would finish at a set time and form 3-4 two weeks later. However at this meeting it was decided that seeing form 3 had behaved badly, as PUNISHMENT they would go home with the form 1-2s. 
On the other hand, form 4 had been behaving well and it was decided they would be rewarded with an extra week of school. I struggled to disguise my shock in the staff meeting. Who would've thought that 2 extra weeks of holidays would be punishment! That just epitomises what it is about teaching in Kenya.

The students want to learn.

They crave a good education, it is the way to get out of poverty. They know that school fees did not come easy. They are determined to do the best they possibly can. Such a contrast to some of the schooling I have seen and experienced in other places where students whinge about school, drag their feet and try to wag. One of my students here told me the other day that her worst thing was when she is sick and misses a day of school. 

This attitude of putting in 100% certainly makes teaching rewarding and motivates me to try to help my students to achieve the best they possibly can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment