Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Sunday 29 June 2014

Running in Kenya

It is still dark, as it is not yet 6 am and the sun is only just beginning to rise. The only sound is the pounding of our shoes on the dirt road, as we pass mud huts nestled amongst fields of maize. Despite the still crispness in the air I am already sweaty and puffing, we have been running for about 15 minutes and are approaching the marketplace. Bright red in the face and exhausted I look at the student next to me- he looks fresh as a daisy and like he is going for a stroll, not a bead of sweat and
The very green lane-ways which we run along
not even puffing. I feel mildly bad that he isn't even getting a workout and is doing so for my benefit whilst his friends are miles ahead. I try to push a little harder and he notices and instantly picks up the pace, backpeddling sheepishly when he realises I'm not actually able to maintain it...

Running is probably what Kenyans are most famous for and knowing there was a budding group of keen runners at the school was something I was keen to get involved with.  I have tried to run with the kids as frequently as I can- which is unfortunately not all that often. Mostly I run with a girl called Stella- not because she is a particularly outstanding runner but moreso because she has shoes. I asked a bunch of girls if they wanted to come for a run with me but they only had school shoes and thongs and didn't want to go for a long run in either...

When running in Kenya, you never run alone. Always my students will keep pace with me and run at whatever speed I can maintain. Occasionally the boys will all speed off into the distance but not without first selecting one to run slowly with the muzungu. People appear from their houses and shops and cheer you on like you are running a marathon. Ladies with their shopping and buckets on their heads will jog along next to you giggling and cheering.

At Chesamis with some of the students 
This particular morning is slightly out of the ordinary as we are running a much longer distance. Chesamis is  the name of our destination- 11 km each way with a large steep incline leading to a lookout where we can rest before the return journey. When we approach this incline I tell the student with me that he can run ahead if he likes, he rockets into the distance, my backpack full of water and snacks bouncing on his back as he runs - of course he hadn't let me carry it despite my protests.  I look up at the destination and can see ten or so lads waving from the rocks, listening carefully I can hear their encouraging cries waft down the valley. Knowing they are all watching and cheering spurs me on and I manage to increase to a faster jog up the final few hundred metres. I am met with a standing ovation, ruckus applause and many cries of 'visuri sana madam!' (well done, madam!).

Although I don't do it as often as I like, I never regret going out for a run. The students are so keen, the exercise is beneficial and the feeling of being alive and free that you get when running is like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment