Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Sunday 21 September 2014

Diary of a Day-Sunday 21st Sept

I am hurtling at 80 km per hour along a bone-shaking road, looking at the surface I think it would be fair to say there are more potholes than actual road. It is hot and sticky with the manky smell of wet carpet in the car I have borrowed. The air-con doesn't work and considering the truck in front of me is kicking up a storm of dust I figure it would be a disaster to open the windows. I glance over my shoulder at the student in the back seat, she is sitting silently, occasionally wiping blood from the gaping hole in her knee her friend also silent beside her...

Today started like any Sunday, slightly more of a sleep-in than a school day, brekky, a few students coming with various requests, then the 1km walk for Sunday service.
The speaker was a visitor from another region and he made several mentions of the 'visitors from without' (myself and the other Westerner) which considering I have lived here for 9 months I found slightly amusing. Walking back home down the dusty dirt road I found two little hands in mine and some gorgeous little girls skipping alongside me. I asked where they were from and was told their dad was going to pick them up from school later on that day. After  popping home for a quick lunch I headed over to school, the little girls were still hanging around so I played with them and gave them some sweets. I decided I may as well stay at the school library for a bit and do a few odd jobs before I kicked into my Sunday arvo plans.

I was just heading back to the house to pick up a few odds and ends when I was called back by a student 'madam, you are needed, someone is about to collapse'... unsure as to how serious this 'issue' is I quickly turned and headed back.
I found 16 year old Valery sitting outside the library, her leg covered in blood. She explained that a when running back to school a stick had tripped her and then flicked up and pierced her leg and it was very painful- it looked awful and I quickly grabbed gloves, water and gauze and set about cleaning it up. Once it was cleaned I could see more clearly- a large gaping hole.. by now a sizeable crowd of kids had gathered and were watching me closely. I asked Valery a few questions and she said it felt like there was still something inside. I got some tweezers and set about gingerly poking the hole, looking at the raw meatiness of it I felt so nauseous I quickly sat on the ground to avoid passing out or throwing up.
My efforts were fruitful as I soon pulled out a large splinter, but I still wasn't convinced...the wound looked bigger than just a splinter. I asked around but the students all said the other adults living onsite were not around... no second opinions available.


Not wanting to take any chances I grabbed my phone and quickly made a call to borrow a car. Then after giving her a few pain killers I bundled Valery and a couple of friends into the car and raced off to hospital.

After the usual hospital rigmaroles we finally found ourselves in a dirty corridor which had a small bed and table- this was the theatre room. There was only one doctor in the hospital so our wait was quite long, but eventually he came in. Valery was completely silent as he injected her with anaesthetic and then started digging around inside her knee, I was mesmerised and completely grossed out both at once and I found I couldn't keep my eyes off the proceedings, the doctor didn't seem to mind me poking my head in and asking him questions and he even laughed at my shock as he finally pulled out a comparatively enormous piece of wood from her small knee. I actually couldn't believe it and asked if I could keep it- the obliging doctor and nurse seemed a little surprised but carefully wrapped it up for me so I could take it home. A tetanus injection and a bagful of medication to prevent infection and we were out of there. All throughout this whole ordeal Valery hasn't complained once or even made a single cry of pain. Such a tough girl!

By now it was past 4:30 pm and the kids still hadn't had lunch. A quick scout of the hospital cafe and hotel found that both had nothing more to offer than tea- we decided to go back to our village hotel where the kids could get chapatti and stew.

Arriving back at school I realised that my Sunday afternoon was all but over, my previous plans of playing some football, putting up new clotheslines and getting my hair braided are now completely out of the question. I spend the last few hours of the day collecting drinking water for the school tomorrow and treating a few minor first aid issues.

Today didn't go exactly how I had planned and yet sitting down at the end of it I feel so blessed. Previously (at home in Aus) I have been known to faint in medical emergencies and yet today I remained conscious the entire time. So many people here wouldn't have a phone or a friend they could ring who would be happy to lend a car, and yet I had both of these. Even if they did have a car, most wouldn't know how to drive it and yet I have had my licence for years. Many people wouldn't be able to afford the 1400 shillings hospital bill and yet just last week I received another email from a friend at home letting me know they had transferred me some cash to use for people in need. Yes, today I feel one of my favourite verses was played out before me... "And God will supply every need of yours according to his riches" Phil 4:19
The offending stick once removed- as big as the car keys!

No comments:

Post a Comment