Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Friday 19 December 2014

Technology

Despite many Kenyans having phones and most being aware of TV and the internet even if they don't have it personally many 'everyday' appliances from back home are simply unheard of here. The house I have lived in all year is well equipped for Westerners with toaster, kettles and fridge, however items like these are very rare in other homes. 
One particularly chilly night I went out to night time bible studies with my hot water bottle under my jacket. I pulled it out to show one of my students when he asked what I was holding. I gave it to him to feel and as soon as he touched it he recoiled 'Madam! Did you put fire inside?'

A forty minute drive away is Kitale town, which has very recently been equipped with a two story supermarket with an escalator, I went there with one of my 20 year old students and knowing he would have never experienced one before I pretended I needed to go upstairs so he could have a ride. I could see the apprehension on his face but he tried to maintain calm, whispering to me 'do I walk or stand still'. I assured him he could do either but it didn't prevent the lurch and almost falling flat on his backside as he stepped on. 

On a quiet Saturday in the holidays I rounded up some of the boys to give them a driving lesson around the sports field- they had been asking for a long time and considering there wasn't many people around I figured they could give it a shot. One lad in particular was intent on maintaining eye contact with me while I was instructing, even when my instructions consisted of 'Andrew- you need to look where you are driving!' completely oblivious to where he was heading and giggling away in nervous excitement the whole time.

Sometimes, however the students surprise me with their knowledge of technology. When I had my computer and external hard drive in the library one day a student came in and pointed at it quizzically  'madam what is that?' I tried to think of a good way to explain it simply, considering most students know about USBs I decide on that 'it's like a flash drive, except a big one' I explain. My student has another look.. 'oh really?, it looks like an external hard drive!' 

No comments:

Post a Comment