Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Sunday 3 May 2015

Return.

The streets are busy and clean. Workers are sweeping, hosing and smiling, nicely dressed people are opening up their shops, coffee in one hand, keys in the other. 
I smile and a passing man catches my eye and says good morning.
It's safe, it's friendly it's wealthy. 
I go to the public bathroom, it is warm and clean, toilet paper in every cubicle, running water, no cost.
My phone lights up in my hand- there is free unlimited wifi the whole length of the mall.
At intervals along the paved walkway there are drinking fountains with purified water, free, as much as you like. 
A lady is offering out free food samples to promote a product. Free food. Most people don't take it because they aren't hungry, they have food in their bags and money in their wallets anyway. 
There is no fear, there is no danger, this is a safe place.

Where are the street children, grabbing at my skirt begging for a shilling? The youths rummaging through the dumpsters sucking on rotten tomatoes, the slimy mould dripping down their dirty hands? The old ladies dressed in tattered clothes sitting on the dirt?
Why is there no need to hide my wallet, keep my eyes down and walk fast?
Because this is Rundle Mall in Adelaide not Kenyatta street in Kitale.

I have arranged to catchup with a friend in town and I am supposed to be working from my laptop while I wait, but instead I find myself drifting into a bookshop and flicking through the travel guides to Kenya. I finally drag out my computer but instead of doing my work I find myself browsing through my photos, writing articles for newsletters and googling Swahili phrases.

My jobs in Australia are well paid and relatively easy, I am welcomed back with open arms, I have all I could need or want...however it doesn't feel right.
I think of my students in Kenya, their cute farewell letters, littered with phrases such as 'don't forget us' and 'please return', I think of the projects and programs I was involved in and I think of the friends and brothers and sisters I have left...

A few months later, instead of talking and thinking about Kenya I am now on the plane heading back over. Five months will make up my itinerary this time.. looking forward to getting stuck back into it all :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment