Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Friday 11 July 2014

Tabby vs mosquito

Nnnnnnnnghhh ngggghhhh the sound starts up again, the multiple frequencies indicating tonights invasion is large in number; this time when it starts I have had enough. I jump out of bed wielding my ipod torch and wildly brandishing a coat hanger. I feel ready to take on a lion and I kinda wish I was in a way, as at least it would be a lot easier to spot than tiny evasive mosquitos!

Although my room is relatively small with two cupboards, bunk bed and single bed taking up most of the space, come night time it seems to have room to house thousands of blood sucking menaces (ok I may be slightly exaggerating), which delight in hiding themselves in every nook and cranny.

This particular night has been especially bad. I have been awake for 3 1/2 hours listening to the constant barrage of ngggghhhh. Despite having a full length pyrethrum treated net the mozzies still find their way inside.

I have already spent a good proportion of my night swiping fruitlessly at the little beasts, it seems like they relish in flying close enough for me to bother attempting and then dancing out of reach just at the right time. I am almost beside myself... taking a deep breath I light a mozzie coil, spray some repellent and set out to kill any that are still in my room. My eyes are fixated on the tiny buzzing monster circling the light fitting as I leap from my bed to the bunk and back to the cupboard. I forget that I have just placed a lit coil on my cupboard but am brought sharply back to reality by the stabbing pain as my foot lands squarely on it. Cursing under my breath I jump back to my bed, my foot gets caught in my oh so helpful 'mosquito net' and I lose my balance toppling onto the floor and dragging my net down with me.

I am a sorry sight; tangled, burnt and frustrated but not yet ready to give up, I have squashed, sprayed and flattened 12 mosquitos so far tonight but I can still hear more...

I leap to my feet and snatching at the air I manage to catch one in my fist, slamming my open hand onto my leg I note with vicious satisfaction the squashed vermin now decorating my track pants. Justice at last.

I crawl back into my bed, it is now 12:25 and I am thoroughly exhausted. I finally settle and am just drifting off when I hear the nnnnggghhh start up again... It's too much! I ensure every possible part of my body is under my sheet to prevent bites and force myself to go to sleep.. Tonight it was definitely a win to the mosquitos... Just you wait until tomorrow though!

No comments:

Post a Comment