Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Tuesday 14 January 2014

The School

                             
The school that I am teaching at has around 30 students who call it home and live here all
year round, but once the school term starts the number of students living on campus extends to over 100 as boarders from all over Kenya arrive. In addition to this, the school has approximately another 100 day students but in contrast to many Kenyan schools the class sizes remain small with around 20-35 students per class. 

Because of the large volume of students living here there is always lots of activity and action. The compound consists of boys and girls dormitories, Justus and Annettes house (the amazing couple who have adopted around 100 kids and set up the school!), the school itself with classrooms, administration block and sports field and the volunteers house where I am living.

The school day in Kenya is quite different to that of Australia, classes start at 8am and go through until 5pm with 10 forty-five minute timeslots. This can mean that as a teacher you teach the same class several times on the one day, which I have been finding quite comical. My fantastic form 2 class (Year 10) who I have been teaching Christian Religious Education and English.

Each classroom is equipped with a blackboard and chalk is issued to all the teachers, I have found out I have some sort of allergic rash from chalk- which considering I fill the blackboard several times in a lesson and end up with chalk all over me it is rather unfortunate! :)


The teaching staff at the school. Myself and Gregg Mogg from Australia and then the remainder of the teachers from the local area. A lovely group of people to work with!

No comments:

Post a Comment