Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Monday 27 January 2014

Kenyan Kids


Already, so often I find the kids here surprise me in so many ways! Such hardy, independent and positive people!

On one of my first days here a large truckload of food arrived for the school. Mountains of flour, maize, oil and sugar in huge buckets and 20+ kg bags. I was helping the workers carry the supplies into the storeroom when a cute little boy about 10 years old appeared, giggling away he jumped into action and tried to lift the 20kg bags, his skinny little arms barely able to budge the heavy sacks. I greeted him in Swahili but he didn’t respond and one of the girls told me that he was deaf and dumb.
Despite the fact he comes from a family in extreme poverty is unable to attend regular school and has so much hardship and struggles in his life he was so happy and such a willing worker. His attitude is such an inspiration!


Another little gem occurred in my year 10 class when a tiny little neighbourhood boy dressed in primary school uniform wandered in. I welcomed him into the room and much to the amusement of the class he came right in, climbed into a spare seat and sat their listening intently for the whole lesson. Such a cute little boy! Never too early to start thinking about further education :)

No comments:

Post a Comment