Pages

I am in Kenya volunteering for Agape in Action. Thanks for checking out my blog, feel free to add your comments!

Friday 28 February 2014

Animal Fun

The school is not just home to a stack of people but also to a large number of animals...chickens, goats, cats, dogs, cats, cows and sheep do their bit keeping the football field mowed,  provide milk, eggs, protection and whatever services goats and cats supply (I havn't figured it out yet!)
It isn't unusual for a chicken to cluck it's way into the classroom or a morning assembly to be interrupted by a goat that decides to scratch itself on the flagpole.Today I even had the pleasure of a cow wondering into the library, I found the idea of a cow in the library quite hilarious and was too busy laughing to shoo it out, a passing teacher heard the noise and came to my assistance- although he didn't seem to find it as funny as I did when I suggested maybe it wanted to watch a moovie.. perhaps puns get a little lost in translation :p

My most memorable moment with the animals so far was when I had just finished supervising a form 2 exam  (year 10 equivalent) I was crossing the school carrying the completed exams back to the staff room and failed to notice that the hen in front of me had a number of chicks surrounding it. Completely oblivious to the fact I was perceived as a threat  I march onwards only to stop short as the hen literally rears up (didn't know it was possible for a chicken!) and valiently protecting it's offspring begins it's attack- squawking, pecking and clawing; it completely lets loose on my legs! A moment of great hilarity for the 120 watching students who have just left their exam rooms and have a full view of the muzungu teacher clutching their exams, yelling in terror and fleeing from a chicken!! Perhaps not the best experience to help counter the conceptions of how soft white people are!

No comments:

Post a Comment